Friday, April 20, 2012

Decline of Great Paper?

Article

When I was in Korea I liked Donga-ilbo considerably more than the alternatives. It was liberal without the militancy and it unlike other papers, did not engage in much of mudslinging (unless it was Chosun-ilbo). But for me, it has been two long month trying to find a article that was not merely repeating facts. Regrettably this article was only one I could find that dealt with Middle East in any depth. And this article was about the sensational story about honor killing.

Listing various reasons for honor killing across the globe, the long article end with exhortation to stop honor killing from happening and offers merely platitude that his was both situation that must stop, and that it was immensely complicated issue. I am well aware that this is delicate issue, but by presenting mere list of facts without context and analysis can only serve to draw readers into conclusions that will be deficient because he does not have the supporting pillars of information to understand and categorize it. I really expected more from the article.

No comments: